|1883*||1894||1912||1916||14 tons||H. K. Porter||565||0-4-4RT|
Notes: This engine was built in 1883, for the Sandy River Railroad as their #3. It was built as a wood-burner, with a blind (flangeless) rear driver. On the WW&F, it was converted to coal burning, and the rear driver was re-tired to have flanges. It was a small engine, prone to frequent derailments, and not well-liked by either railroad. On the WW&F, it was used during construction of the railroad, and afterward mainly on switching duties in Wiscasset Yard.
Note the angled cylinder and driving rods, which was old and out-dated technology even when it was built. The engine underwent several changes of cab styles and smoke stacks, before being retired in 1912.
|1894||1894||1933||1937||18 tons||Portland Company||626||0-4-4RT|
|1894||1894||1932||1937||18 tons||Portland Company||627||0-4-4RT|
Notes: Favorite engine of the WW&F engineers, especially Earl Keef, who built a model of it after retirement. #3 ended up being the “Old Faithful” of the fleet, running right up until 1933, even running sporadically after the arrival of #8 and #9. Its last known run was the morning down train on June 11, 1933.
|1902||1902||1933||1937||28 tons||H. K. Porter||2497||0-4-4RT|
Notes: Bought for Franklin Construction Company for construction of the line from Weeks Mills to Winslow, then turned over to the WW&F. Originally it had a full steel cab, but this was cut back after the Mason’s Wreck and eventually replaced with a wooden cab. The boiler was set higher than normal on two-foot gauge engines, making it top heavy but an excellent snow fighter.
Notes: Built 1882 as for the Bridgton and Saco River Railroad as that road’s #2, and served the B&SR for 25 years. In 1912 it was retired from a burned crownsheet, but the boiler was continued to be used in the WW&F’s Wiscasset shops (for heating and keeping other engine’s boilers warm) until the railroad ceased operations in 1933.
Notes: A powerful freight engine, this was the only engine on the railroad with 6 drivers and outside frame valve gears. The engine arrived with Stephenson, but later was converted to Southern valve gears. #6 was retired after being burned in the Wiscasset engine house fire in 1931; she wasn’t greatly damaged but she was never repaired or moved again.
Notes: The road’s high-stepping passenger engine. Retired after being heavily damaged in the Wiscasset engine house fire in 1931. It sat next to its sister #6, until scrapping in 1937.
|1892||1933||1933||1937||18 tons||Portland Company||624||0-4-4RT|
Notes: Built 1892 for the Bridgton and Saco River Railroad as their engine #3, then it was sold in 1924 to the Kennebec Central, becoming #3 on that railroad as well. Frank Winter bought the KC for both this and #4. It ran for two days on the WW&F, in June 1933, until it derailed in Whitefield on June 15. It was abandoned there, and later cut up on the spot.
|1891||1933||1933||never||18 tons||Portland Company||622||0-4-4RT|
Notes: Built in 1891 for the Sandy River Railroad as #5, the “N. B. Beal”, later re-numbered 6 after the Sandy River’s consolidation with the other two-foot railroads in Franklin County. It was sold in 1923 to the Kennebec Central as their #4. Frank Winter bought the KC for its two operational engines in early 1933, and it was renumbered to 9. Nine ran off and on until June 8 that year, when it was sidelined for a broken frame member. Sold to Frank Ramsdell in 1937, who kept it in Connecticut. The last time this engine was under steam was in 1934, when engineer Earl Keef ran it to the Top of the Mountain for prospective buyers of the railroad. This engine is now undergoing restoration, see this page for details.