Boxcar 309 began life as Wiscasset & Quebec flatcar #29 in 1895, one of the first flatcars on the railroad. At some point after construction ceased it was rebuilt into a boxcar. It was renumbered to 309 in the reorganization to the WW&F. It underwent a partial rebuild in 1929 by railroad employees F. W. Coffin and Harvey Beane — their signatures were found behind the exterior sheathing when it was dismantled. It, too, was a part of the collection that went down to the Ramsdell farm in 1937.
Thanks in part to a tin roof, it suffered less degradation than flatcar 118 did; however before it could be brought up in 1995 the “box” portion, which had settled to the ground around the frame, had to be put back on the floor portion. In 1997 it underwent a complete rebuilding, thanks to the hard work of our volunteers and the financial and material support of the membership. Approximately 20% of the original wood has remained in the boxcar; one of the boxcar walls has also been reassembled on the wall of the Museum shop.
Below are images from before and during the boxcar’s rebuild.